Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Turkey Hunting Tips
03-13-2014, 11:58 AM
Turkey Hunting Tips
Spring turkey season is just around the corner and I was going to try my hand at taking a bird with my recurve. Does anyone have any tips, hunting stories and traditional wisdom to share to help increase the chance at a traditional harvest?

Samick Sage 52# @29"
Easton Axis 400
125 Magnus Stinger
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-13-2014, 01:03 PM
RE: Turkey Hunting Tips
Great topic. I would deffenitly hunt out of a blind. I would also practice shooting out of it. Deffenitly an adjustment to get use to. I like to set up with a gobbler over a hen decoy. I have had the best luck with that. After, losing a bird last year. I think it's going to be strictly head shots this year. I can't wait.

58"Zipper SXT 48#
58" Zipper Zipstick 53#
Grizzly Broadheads 160g
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Do not over call. That is the biggest mistake made in the turkey woods. That, and trying to get too close to them on the roost. You are reversing nature when you are calling in gobblers, and while turkeys are very vocal birds they are not as vocal as most people think. Start out soft, get the bird to answer a few times so that you both know each other are there, then stop calling for 15-20 minutes. Even if the bird is still gobbling. Most of the time their frustrations of you not coming to them gets the better of them and they crack and will come right to you.

I agree with traddoc. Turkey eyesight is second to none. Using a blind is the only real advantage you can give yourself when hunting with a bow. I personally refrain from using a tom decoy until I get desparate late season. We have few birds and they seem over educated even though they don't get hunted hard, so I go with one to two hen decoys tops, but again it really depends on the situation. I will say if you are hunting from a blind, set your decoy only 5-8 FEET away. They ignore the blind and will get close to the decoy if you let them. I called a big tom in for my dad a few years back (he had a shotgun) like this. I set the decoy 3 ft off the front of the blind and I told him to wait and lets see how close the bird got.. I was 6 ft from that tom. If I would have had a bow, I would have had to aim down to shoot him. My dad had to let him get further out so he didn't destroy the bird.

I have yet to take an Eastern with my bow, much less my recurve but I hope to make that happen this year!

Good luck!!

The arrow cannot be disciplined, until the man has been disciplined.

50#@29" BlackWidow PSAIII
175gr Simmons Tiger Shark
Find all posts by this user
04-05-2014, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2014 02:34 PM by crushinweight.)
I hunt turkey like I hunt deer. I start scouting around the end of March, beginning of April. Once I find the fields that they're working I figure out their pattern and set up accordingly. A blind is a great tool for bowhunting birds. I've had birds at 5 yards or less look right at me and think nothing of it.

Over the past two years I've shot three Toms at 6 yards or less, and have shot 6 birds with a bow over the past 6 years. I did lose two birds, both of them were chest shots. Now I tend to go for the Texas Heart shot, or try to break the wings. This year I'm going to try for a head shot with the Magnus Bullheads. I also thought about trying a string tracker for body shots.

I hunt western PA and have tried all kinds of setups with Decoys. I've had the most success with a two hen setup. I place them about 5 yards from the blind, and about 3 feet apart and facing towards me. I've tried the b-mobile, but the birds just didn't seem to want to commit with him out there.

As was said by other, I call very little. The only time I get aggressive is if I get one gobbling in the last hour or so of hunting.

My finial tip is, Don't leave early, I shot a bird at 11:30 on opening day last year, and then one at 11:48 on the first Monday of the season. The first one came in silent and, the second one came in hammering.

Black Widow PL 46@27
Easton axis 600's
04-02-2015, 07:56 PM
This year I am also ditching the scatter gun and strictly taking the trad bow. I think I'm going to have to order a taller blind tho. I don't think I'll have enough room with my 62in longbow in my current blind. I was thinking of getting a Barronett Big Mike I think they 80" tall and can shoot standing up.
And I'm probably gonna use some Silver Flame XXL's I have laying around since they have a 1 7/8 cutting diameter. I'm stoked for this Turkey season!

58" Black Widow PSA Ironwood 60lbs@28
62" Dryad Orion ACS Longbow
58lbs @28
Goldtip 300 Expedition Hunter
225gr Tuffhead broadhead
677grs 29% FOC
04-06-2015, 11:34 PM
Just ordered a Big Mikes XT blind for this Turkey season! Should be able to take a standing shot in this blind with my 62" Long bow since it's 7ft tall. Hopefully it doesn't look like a sky scraper in the woods lol.

58" Black Widow PSA Ironwood 60lbs@28
62" Dryad Orion ACS Longbow
58lbs @28
Goldtip 300 Expedition Hunter
225gr Tuffhead broadhead
677grs 29% FOC
04-08-2015, 10:56 AM
You could throw a party in that thing!!

58"Zipper SXT 48#