Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Target Panic
06-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Target Panic
I shot in a 3D tournament this weekend, and left very irritated with myself.. Out of no where, I developed a case of target panic. I haven't dealt with this issue in over a year or two and thought I had it whooped. Luckily, for me it's only on targets and not on live game. But I don't want it to creep into my hunting.

I was shooting good, then out of nowhere I would flinch or almost let the string go before I'm even ready to. It completely messed up my mental game after that.

Does anyone have any good routines to help overcome target panic?

The arrow cannot be disciplined, until the man has been disciplined.

50#@29" BlackWidow PSAIII
175gr Simmons Tiger Shark
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2013, 11:20 AM
RE: Target Panic
Harm,

I think the best way to get over target panic is to shoot blind bale. When I found myself starting to get a little shaky. I will shoot blind bale, this allows you to not focus on a specific spot and allows you to work strictly on your form. Another thing to do is stand about 5 feet away and just work on your release. Those are some things that have helped me in the past..

58"Zipper SXT 48#
58" Zipper Zipstick 53#
Grizzly Broadheads 160g
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-17-2013, 11:40 AM
I have tried these in the past as well. I had forgotten standing close and shooting, I know this helps because it has helped me before.

It's very aggravating to have a flinch attack you out of nowhere. I think it came back when I changed one small aspect of my form two weeks ago. I guess because it messes with your muscle memory. I'd started flinching slightly when shooting around my house but it was very evident at the tournament.

I will try the above recommendations again and post my results at a later time. Any other advice is still appreciated.

06-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Well it worked. I took down any reference point on the bale and shot it blind.. even took off my glasses so I couldn't see any detail lol... I shot over and over focusing more on form than anything. After an afetrnoon or two of shooting no further than 5steps at a blind bale, my flinch had disappeared and I'm back to shooting at 20-40yds. I even killed a little pig this weekend. Smile

07-14-2013, 12:23 PM
My wife and I both shoot with clickers and have done this since the 60's. We use a clicker and incorporate a lot of back tension all the way thru the release. We use the clicker for hunting also with no problems. I have never found a real cure for target panic. This whole thing is a mind game and if you don't have your head in the game your not shooting. Even with a clicker you have to work each arrow and go thru a shot sequence. With me it is first hand position on the bow,a deep hook on the string, even pressure on all three fingers, anchor, back tension and then focus and release.
07-14-2013, 01:12 PM
I've never shot with a clicker but know people that do. I honestly thought clicker mostly helped with form and knowing you're a full draw/anchor point. I've never thought of it as a beneficial means to get rid of target panic. I guess it would mainly due to helping you focus on form. When I focus on my form and shot sequence my shots are much better with no target panic. It's when I get "sloppy" from fatigue or something of the sorts that I've had target panic slip its way back into my shooting. I'm free of it now. Shooting a blank bale and focusing on form and back tension really helps me.

07-14-2013, 02:32 PM
I agree mike great post

58"Zipper SXT 48#
58" Zipper Zipstick 53#
Grizzly Broadheads 160g
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-16-2013, 10:29 AM
(07-14-2013 01:12 PM)harmcarson Wrote:  I've never shot with a clicker but know people that do. I honestly thought clicker mostly helped with form and knowing you're a full draw/anchor point. I've never thought of it as a beneficial means to get rid of target panic. I guess it would mainly due to helping you focus on form. When I focus on my form and shot sequence my shots are much better with no target panic. It's when I get "sloppy" from fatigue or something of the sorts that I've had target panic slip its way back into my shooting. I'm free of it now. Shooting a blank bale and focusing on form and back tension really helps me.

Target panic will come back if your not shooting a surprise release, as Mike stated a clicker shot correctly will pretty much solve this issue completely. I have coached allot of compound and olympic recurve archers with this issue and on the recurve side, blind bailing is a great way to get rid of it temporarily but it always seemed to come back at some point in there career.
09-30-2013, 11:06 AM
(06-17-2013 10:58 AM)harmcarson Wrote:  I shot in a 3D tournament this weekend, and left very irritated with myself.. Out of no where, I developed a case of target panic. I haven't dealt with this issue in over a year or two and thought I had it whooped. Luckily, for me it's only on targets and not on live game. But I don't want it to creep into my hunting.

I was shooting good, then out of nowhere I would flinch or almost let the string go before I'm even ready to. It completely messed up my mental game after that.

Does anyone have any good routines to help overcome target panic?

YUP... I minimize whatever I am focusing on and just shoot. Kinda like blank bailing but not that limiting.
For instance, I gap shoot and use the arrow to set my gap. Sometimes that precise point of aim is what does it. When that happens I will stop looking at the arrow and just use the riser @ 6 O'Clock under the center of the bulls eye. This is a very accurate way to shoot but not super accurate, however... the super accurate method requires near perfection and that focus is what causes target panic in myself and others who I have seen go through this issue.

My target panic (when it comes) is generally only on one or two shots because I change what I am doing immediately and therefore, I am not training my brain to accept target panic or to shoot with it.
02-09-2014, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2014 04:32 PM by Warfbow.)
(07-14-2013 12:23 PM)Mike Shaw Wrote:  My wife and I both shoot with clickers and have done this since the 60's. We use a clicker and incorporate a lot of back tension all the way thru the release. We use the clicker for hunting also with no problems. I have never found a real cure for target panic. This whole thing is a mind game and if you don't have your head in the game your not shooting. Even with a clicker you have to work each arrow and go thru a shot sequence. With me it is first hand position on the bow,a deep hook on the string, even pressure on all three fingers, anchor, back tension and then focus and release.
There is a reason why Olympic shooters always use a clicker.

I am not even close to that kind of shooting and would only use one as a trainer but what the heck, there is no Trad Police Law that says you cannot use one all the time unless you compete at local Bowhunter 3D competitions?

I am of the school that they are a training method and choose to ingrain on the bale and then let the shot sequence run on the subconscious level and aim consciously but then that is my choice and it works well for me.