Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Colorado Mule Deer and Elk hunt
07-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Colorado Mule Deer and Elk hunt
Every year my family and I go to Colorado bowhunting mule deer and elk on public land in Southern Colorado. My dad has been going for 30+yrs and I've gone just about every year since I was two. This year will be no different. Colorado is a lottery state for the most part when it comes to Elk and Mule Deer, with very few OTC game units(mostly found in SW Colorado). I killed a good bull last year with my recurve so this year I just put in for mulies. I got drawn! My dad and brother both drew elk tags this year as well. I will be the only one hunting traditionally. My dad and brother will still be bowhunting but with compounds. My first traditional big game kill ever was a mule deer (the hunt can be watched in the Geekisodes on the website) so this year I am hoping to tag an even bigger mulie. I found some great spots last year when I was scouting after I killed my bull, so I have really high expectations for this year!

I am thinking about buying a bear tag too in case I see one. I can check it off my bucket list Smile Last year I had one "woof" at me when I climbed down after dark to head back to camp.. This Louisiana boy was not a fan of that experience. We have been seeing more bears over the past three years so it may be worth me getting the tag.

Here is a little bit of information:
To put in for archery tags in the Colorado draw you must apply by the April 2nd. Pricing are as follows for nonresidents.
Deer tags are: $354
Elk either sex tags are: $589
Bear tags are: $354
The draw is in June. If you get drawn you will receive the tags in the mail. If you do not get drawn, you will receive a refund check and a preference point to go towards the following year, if you request a refund and preference points. The tag that you receive is only good for the game management unit that you applied for. It is not good statewide. A habitat stamp is required to hunt or even purchase a license at a cost of $10 (on top of your tags). If you are in an area where you will be using four wheelers, then an OHV permit is required to use them as well. I believe that can be purchased at most stores or gas stations that would issue an OTC license. The cost of this is $25 I believe. We usually split those types costs among everyone hunting... Anytime you are on a fourwheeler, your bow has to be in a closed case. We camp 25-30miles from a little town and this is where we purchase food for the week, as well as, come and take showers/ wash laundry etc.. (Bringing quarters is very important in a situation like this)
Early Season Archery starts on Saturday, Aug 31. We will arrive the morning of the 30th in time to set up camp, scout and setup stands in areas we have had success in the past, and to shoot our bows to make sure the 16 hour road trip didn't mess anything up. Then a quick evening meal and an attempted good night of rest will ensue. Really hard to sleep the first night on a hunt like that. We will be hunting through the following weekend.

I started this thread to keep ya'll up to date with preparation progress, as well as, update you during the hunt itself. While my signal is all but none existent up there, I may be able to find a few places where I can post updates.

Also, if anyone has questions on DIY hunting in Colorado, feel free to ask and I will answer to the best of my ability.

The arrow cannot be disciplined, until the man has been disciplined.

50#@29" BlackWidow PSAIII
175gr Simmons Tiger Shark
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2013, 01:54 PM
RE: Colorado Mule Deer and Elk hunt
Awesome, thanks Harm.. Look forward to the updates..

58"Zipper SXT 48#
58" Zipper Zipstick 53#
Grizzly Broadheads 160g
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Awesome, I look forward to hearing about your hunt. We hunted a few years ago up near gunnison, co is an awesome place
07-17-2013, 05:00 PM
I've been to Gunnison on vacations but never to hunt. I love it out west. It gets in your blood and it's hard no to go back. It's gorgeous up there.

08-05-2013, 04:52 PM
24 days and counting til we head west. This past weekend while many were putting their stands up for the coming season, I was taking stands down to take to Colorado. We hunt mulies like we do whitetails here in Louisiana. Finding a heavily used trail in good funnels or feeding areas and hanging up treestands. Occasionally we find places where we can put up a groundblind and we sometimes spot and stalk. Our highest success comes from being up in a tree. Only downfall is when I get home I have to rehang all my stands.. WELL WORTH IT!

Anyway, I've been shooting every day. I'm confident out to 30-35yds but plan on taking a mulie at around 14yds. I'm getting super excited! For the past few weeks I have been running and working out to try to help this lowland louisiana boy breath in that thin air. It makes a huge difference when you get up there. You can go farther and not get winded as easily nor are your legs sore from climbing...usually. Packing an elk out of the backcountry is work, but its a labor of love. This week I will begin getting my camping gear together as well as my backpack frames for packing out meat..... DID I MENTION I'M EXCITED!?! Big Grin

08-05-2013, 09:34 PM
I'm jealous harm, our western trip is still 8 weeks away. I may have to give the treestands a try this year.
08-06-2013, 08:20 AM
I think treestands definitely increase your odds on western game. Especially if you are able to glass an area to see where deer like to travel and put your stand up in the middle of where they like to be. It's like mule deer and elk never think to look up either. It's rare that I've ever had a deer look at me in Colorado. Some of my setups, i've sat there thinking "there's no way this would work for a whitetail." If you try it, let me know how it works for you.

I'll be honest though, I have much more fun doing spot and stalk, but the terrain we hunt is not really suitable for it in most cases.

08-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Well I couldn't stand the thought of getting an opportunity at one of my bucket list animals with the recurve and having to pass on it.. I just purchased a Black bear tag! I just have a feeling that in the area I plan to be hunting this year I will get the chance to harvest a bear. I learned a while back that when it comes to hunting, go with your gut. Hopefully, my gut is correct in its predictions and I can bring home a Bear and a mule deer. Big Grin

08-08-2013, 05:00 PM
I hope so too. Good luck man

58"Zipper SXT 48#
58" Zipper Zipstick 53#
Grizzly Broadheads 160g
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-19-2013, 08:57 AM
Bear tag came in the mail last week! Getting pumped! Week and a half til I head west.